Hello folks! This is André here. We take our commitments very seriously and, as promised, here is a brand new healthy snack recipe. These delicious green sandwiches are the perfect picnic or beach treat and we cannot seem to get enough of them. The days are now getting considerably warmer over on our side of the planet and all we want to do is eat smaller, fresher meals throughout the day instead of, say, one big bowl of spicy curry for lunch or dinner (though our Chickpea, Tofu and Spinach Quick Curry is totally irresistible nonetheless). These sandwiches often end up on our plates (or straight in our hands) for lunch, sided by a huge smoothie or juice and sometimes even a few crispy baked potatoes.
The sweet and salty marinade turns the otherwise bland and flavourless tofu into a total flavour bomb! Once it is fried and crispy, it is the perfect match for all the crunchy fruit and veggies and the creamy avocado. Our green herb hummus is delicious in this sandwich but if you're craving some lighter spreads, go for our vegan pumpkin seed pesto instead!
GREEN SANDWICHES WITH MAPLE & SOY
30 minutes | makes 6 sandwiches
whole-grain bread slices ( we used a whole spelt & flax seed loaf, but use gluten free if intolerant to gluten )
green herb hummus
1 butterhead lettuce
1 granny smith apple
MAPLE & SOY CRISPY TOFU
1 tsp cold pressed coconut oil
500 gr. block of firm tofu
3 tbsp soy sauce ( use wheat free tamari sauce if gluten intolerant )
3 tbsp maple syrup
STEP BY STEP
Start by gathering, preparing and measuring all of the ingredients. This will improve your dynamic in the kitchen.
- Remove the firm tofu from the packet and drain the water.
- Pat the tofu dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Slice the tofu block into 5 mm slices ( about 12 slices ).
- In a small bowl, whisk the maple syrup and soy sauce until combined.
- Pour the sauce over a wide tray and soak the tofu slices in the sauce.
- Allow the tofu to marinate for 20 minutes, flipping it halfway.
- While the tofu marinates, cut the cucumber, apple and avocado in thin slices.
- Squeeze some lime juice over the apple and avocado so they won't brown.
- After the tofu has marinated for 20 minutes, heat the coconut oil in a shallow pan in medium high heat.
- Fry the tofu slices for 2 minutes each side or until they are perfectly golden and crispy.
- Start by spreading a generous spoonful of the green herb hummus on the first slice of bread.
- Continue by layering the lettuce, apple, crispy tofu, cucumber, avocado and micro-greens.
- Top off with another slice of bread and enjoy!