Hello folks! This is André here. Today we're sharing another delicious and summery drink just to make sure you keep quenching your thirst in high style during this time of the year. Remember our tips and information on how and why to maintain a proper hydration? It's crucial! Read all about it in our Blackberry & Lime Chia Fresca post.
Back when we cared little (or nothing at all) about our health and nutrition, we used to drink as much soft drinks as the average person. I was more of a fizzy drink guy while Rita had a soft spot for the sugary iced teas. One of the first changes we embraced in this healthy lifestyle of ours was to cut all the processed and refined sugars from our diets, and this included drinks as well as foods. But much like everything else, this didn't mean we'd never be able to drink a flavoured iced tea ever again. In fact, it meant we could make our own and turn it into a super healthy beverage! We've come up with a few different combinations but this one is definitely our favourite. Citrus fruits and cinnamon are perfect additions to organic black tea.
It's important to mention that black tea contains a fair amount of caffeine. Although there's much less caffeine in this tea than in coffee, it's still enough to give you that little kick. Even more so if you're not used to drinking caffeinated drinks. Take this to your advantage and prepare a batch of this delicious iced tea ahead of time and drink it throughout the morning and early afternoon. It'll keep you hydrated and energized!
CITRUS & CINNAMON ICED TEA
10 minutes prepping + 45 minutes cooling | makes a little over 3 cups / 800 ml.
3 cups | 750 ml. filtered water
1 tbsp organic black tea
juice of 1 organic lemon
half an organic orange, sliced
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 cinnamon stick
lots of ice
STEP BY STEP
Start by gathering, preparing and measuring all of the ingredients. This will improve your dynamic in the kitchen.
- Bring the water to a boil in a pan or kettle.
- Place the tea leaves in a strainer or filter and put them in a tea pot.
- Pour the boiling water in the pot with the tea leaves and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Once the tea has steeped to perfection, pour it in a glass jar.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- After it has cooled slightly, add the lemon juice, orange slices and cinnamon stick
- Place the jar in the fridge and allow to cool completely for about 30 minutes.
- Serve in large glasses with big handfuls of ice each and enjoy!