Hello folks! It's Rita here. Today we're sharing what I think is the simplest recipe ever in the blog. We're well aware that many vegans, vegetarians and omnivores are interested in preparing wholesome, home-cooked meals more often. And we also hear they just can't find the time to invest in learning new techniques or shopping for particular ingredients. Truth is, this Vegan Fried Rice is just the type of meal we cook more often at our own home: simple ingredients, easy methods, very quick to prepare and completely comforting and filling. We always make big batches, whatever it is we're cooking, and this rice holds perfectly in the fridge for up to a week.
What's great about recipes such as this one is that you can easily adapt it to whatever is in your fridge. For instance, just swap the bell pepper for zucchini, onion for leeks, the tofu for mushrooms, the broccoli for kale leaves and the peas for lentils and you've got a totally different result. You can even use brown rice or quinoa instead of basmati rice and transform it just that tiny bit more. Every time we make this, it turns out a little different than it did the last time. But I must say, we gathered our absolute favourites for this rendition of our easy, vegan fried rice. It is so simple, yet so delicious. The key is to include a little bit of everything: warm spices, crisp veggies, soft legumes and some seeds for the crunchy texture. I'm pretty sure you guys will enjoy this too. Give it a go and let us know how this worked out for you. We love hearing from you guys! :) xo
Vegan Fried Rice
20 minutes | makes 4-6 portions
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin quarter slices
250 gr. firm tofu, drained, washed and chopped into little cubes
2 garlic cloves, central germ removed and finely chopped
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
1 cup | 150 gr. frozen peas
3 cups | 450 gr. basmati rice
1/3 cup | 45 gr. sunflower seeds
fresh cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
STEP BY STEP
Start by gathering, preparing and measuring all of the ingredients. This will improve your dynamic in the kitchen.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, wide pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and carrot, and cook for 6 minutes or until the veggies are soft and the onion is translucent, but not brown.
- Add the tofu and garlic and cook for 6 minutes, stirring often, or until the tofu is lightly toasted and crispy.
- Add all of the spices and mix well to combine. Allow to cook the spices for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and peas and cook for two minutes.
- Pour in the water, cover the pan and allow the veggies to steam for 3 minutes.
- Uncover, mix well and continue to cook until all of the water evaporates.
- Add the basmati rice, one cup at a time, and the sesame seeds and mix gently. Cook for a further 5 minutes in order to toast the rice.
- Serve immediately, drizzled with fresh lemon juice and sprinkled with chopped fresh herbs.
This fried rice keeps well stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days.