Hello folks! This is Rita here. We've been so busy with life lately that we weren't able to post our mid-week recipe this week. We always plan ahead and do a lot of work in advance, but sometimes other things get in the way of our projects. In this week in particular, it was a little dog called Lima. We've adopted the cutest 6 month old puppy (tonight will be her first night with us!) and she is quite the handful, given the fact that we already share our home with two spoiled rotten kitty cats who aren't as sure as we are about this new addition to the family. The fact that her name actually means Lime in portuguese is a delightful coincidence, but let's just say this granola was created in her honor anyway.
So, about the actual recipe! Do you think it's too soon to post another granola recipe? Perhaps. It was definitely not an overstatement when André said we've got a serious addiction to cereal on our Pear & Ginger Granola post. That granola is warming, sweet, spicy and all that jazz. But lately we've been craving quite the opposite. Since coconut and lime are two of my favourite flavours, I cannot resist trying to come up with new vehicles for this delicious combo. So why not granola? Turns out it is perfectly citrusy, fresh, tangy and just what we'd been looking for. It's the perfect crunch for any breakfast bowl we've got going on, whether they're filled with plant-based milk, vegan yoghurt or even a smoothie.
This Hulk-hued granola owes both its colour (and superpowers!) to the addition of powdered wheatgrass. This bright green powder is one of the superfoods we consume the most around here because it's got such a wide array of powerful benefits. It is an excelent source of nutrients, minerals, vitamins, enzymes and amino acids. Thanks to the high amount of Vitamin A it provides, wheatgrass is great for supporting the immune system and for maintaining a healthy, glowing skin. It is an extremely alkalising and detoxifying superfood, so we make sure we include it in our morning meals every other day.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. If you're not a fan of wheatgrass, you can add just a little teaspoon or perhaps even skip it. You'll still get a delicious Coconut & Lime Granola, it just won't be Supergreen. Let us know how it turns out! Now we're off to enjoy the company of our new family member (and keep her from chewing our prized possessions!).
COCONUT & LIME SUPERGREEN GRANOLA
40 minutes | makes enough to fill a 2qt / 1.8L jar
2 1/2 cups | 240 gr. rolled oats
2 cups | 45 gr. puffed millet
3/4 cup | 110 gr. pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup | 125 gr. raw, shelled pistachios
2 tbsp | 20 gr. whole hemp seeds
4 tbsp | 35 gr. coconut sugar
1/4 cup | 60 ml. coconut oil
1/4 cup | 60 ml. maple syrup
juice and zest of 2 limes
1 cup toasted coconut flakes
2 tbsp wheatgrass powder
STEP BY STEP
Start by gathering, preparing and measuring all of the ingredients. This will improve your dynamic in the kitchen.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF | 175ºC.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix together.
- In a sauce pan over low heat, start by melting the coconut oil.
- Whisk in the maple syrup, lime zest and lime juice until everything is smoothly incorporated.
- Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well, ensuring everything is well coated and there is no coconut sugar in the bottom of the bowl.
- Spread your mixture on a baking tray (or two, if yours isn't big enough) lined with baking paper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and give it a good mix.
- Put back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes, but pay close attention to your granola! It will turn golden brown in no time and it will be ready.
- Remove from the oven and let cool down completely. Your granola will crisp up as it cools down.
- Stir in the wheatgrass powder and the coconut flakes until everything is combined.
- Store it in an airtight jar or container.